Jeff Garrett, founder of Mid-American Rare Coin Galleries, is considered one of the nation’s top experts in U.S. coinage — and knowledge lies at the foundation of Jeff’s numismatic career. With more than 45 years of experience, he is one of the top experts in numismatics. The “experts’ expert,” Jeff has personally bought and sold nearly every U.S. coin ever issued. Not a day goes by that someone doesn’t call on Jeff Garrett for numismatic advice. This includes many of the nation’s largest coin dealers, publishers, museums and institutions.
In addition to owning and operating Mid-American Rare Coin Galleries, Jeff Garrett is a major shareholder in Sarasota Rare Coin Galleries. His combined annual sales in rare coins and precious metals — between Mid-American in Kentucky and Sarasota Rare Coin Galleries in Florida — total more than $25 million.
Jeff Garrett has authored many of today’s most popular numismatic books, including Encyclopedia of U.S. Gold Coins 1795–1933: Circulating, Proof, Commemorative, and Pattern Issues; 100 Greatest U.S. Coins; and United States Coinage: A Study By Type. He is also the valuation editor for The Official Redbook: A Guide Book of United States Coins.
Jeff was also one of the original coin graders for the Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS). He is today considered one of the country’s best coin graders and was the winner of the 2005 PCGS World Series of Grading. Today, he serves as a consultant to Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC), the world’s largest coin grading company.
Jeff plays an important role at the Smithsonian Institution’s National Numismatic Department and serves as consultant to the museum on funding, exhibits, conservation and research. Thanks to the efforts of Jeff and many others, rare U.S. coins are once again on exhibit at the Smithsonian Institution’s Museum of American History. We urge everyone who visits Washington, D.C., to view this fabulous display.
Jeff has been a member of the prestigious Professional Numismatic Guild (PNG) since 1982 and has served as president of the organization. Jeff also served as the ANA president from 2015 until 2017.
Jeff Garrett Biographical Highlights
- ANA life member since 1975
- Elected as American Numismatic Association President (2015-2017)
- Elected as American Numismatic Association Vice-President (2013-2015)
- Elected to the American Numismatic Association Board of Governors, 2009 and 2011
- Professional Numismatic Guild (PNG), member since 1982
- Past president, vice president and treasurer of the PNG
- Recipient of the PNG Lifetime Achievement Award
- Recipient of the PNG Abe Kosoff Founders Award
- Recipient of the PNG Art Kagin Ambassador Award
- Author of 100 Greatest U.S. Coins (NLG 2003 Book of the Year)
- Author of United States Coinage: A Study By Type
- Author of Encyclopedia of United States Gold Coinage: 1795–1933, Circulating, Proof, Commemorative, and Pattern Issues
- Editor of The Official Redbook: A Guide Book of United States Coins
- Consultant to the Smithsonian Institution’s National Numismatic Collection, Washington, D.C.
- Consultant to Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC)
- Founder of the Bluegrass Coin Club 1994